International Student Services (ISS) NEWS

Edmonds Community College

Travel through Canada – important update! March 11, 2016

Filed under: Immigration — ISS @ 11:08 am
Tags: ,

Are you flying through Canada to go home? 

If so, this information is important!


Starting March 15th, 2016, visa exempt travelers from certain countries are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) BEFORE landing in Canada by plane.


Find out if you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa


What is an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?

Are you traveling to Canada by land (car, bus, train) or sea (boat)?

If you are from a country that is exempt from getting a travel visa, you do NOT need to have an eTA to enter Canada. However, you should always check if you are from a country that is required to apply for a travel visa to enter Canada. You can find out from here:


Canadian Visas – New Procedures! May 30, 2012

 Canadian Visas – New Procedures!

*Starting June 01, 2012 the Canadian Visa Office in Seattle will NOT take in-person visa applications*

  • Applications must be submitted ONLY by mail or courier (UPS, DHL, etc.)
  • All processed applications will be returned to applicants by mail only.
  • The visa office in Seattle will not return your documents using courier services.
  • Applications will take at least 6 weeks, so you must plan your trips to Canada much further in advance. You may want to apply at least 2 months in advance of your planned trip, to make sure you get the visa and passport returned to you in time for travel.

A few tips for applying for Canadian visas: 

  • Get a WA ID card before applying for the Canadian visa, because during the 6-week processing time you will not have your passport.
  • Consider applying for multiple-entry visas to save money.
    • Single entry: $75.
    • Multiple entry: $150, good for up to 5 years (so might be given less time) or until passport expires.
  • Pay careful attention to all the requirements, for example:
    • You must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope of a specific size (see the website).

*Citizens of certain countries do NOT need a visa to visit Canada as a tourist.

To see a complete list of countries whose citizens DO require visas, please see the Canadian Consulate website here:


Transferring to a university in Canada: Info Meeting Thursday 04/12 April 8, 2012

Filed under: University Transfer — ISS @ 4:52 pm
Tags: ,

Are you interested in transferring to a university in Canada?

Meet an admissions advisor from:

TRU is located in British Colombia, Canada

Learn about TRU and learn more about transferring to universities in Canada.

Information Meeting:       

Thursday April 12th / Brier 233 / 12 pm  to 1 pm      

We hope to see you there!


%d bloggers like this: